January 3, 2010

Time

I think I need to stop drinking coffee when I have my quiet time.

All I want to do is jump up from the table, do my laundry, hit the gym, run all my errands . . . and we all know how easy it is to get distracted when we should be spending time with the Lord. I'm getting too hyper to sit still . . . and this brings me on to my next point. Patience.

One thing I'm noticing about David as I read 1 Samuel is his patience and humility right now.

He's in a period of waiting . . . like what J.D. preached about a few weeks ago.

Think about it. David was anointed as king way before he took the throne. He was anointed as king before the whole death match against Goliath. Saul kept the throne until his death, much later.

Wouldn't that be hard? To know that you were the next king, but you had to wait? How would you battle the temptation of pride . . . and to take matters into your own hands?

Instead, David served and obeyed Saul, and sought after what the Lord had for him during this period of waiting.

David is even hesitant to marry Saul's daughter and become the son-in-law of the reigning king at the time.
["Do you think it is a small matter to become the king's son-in-law? I'm only a poor man and little known." -1 Samuel 18:23]

I know it's true that during these times of waiting, God is growing us, maturing us, and disciplining us. We probably wouldn't be fully prepared or equipped for whatever it is, if it happened when we wanted it to. It just can be so much easier to wish the time away, and only look forward to what the future holds.

However, everything happens on God's time table, not ours. There's a reason why everything happens when it does . . . the only hard part is, God knows the reason . . . and most of the time, we don't (until it's over).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs