February 8, 2010

Shine

Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
-Matthew 5:15-16

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world . . .
-Philippians 2:14-15

as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God. Aaron and all the people of Israel saw Moses, and behold, the skin of his face shone . . .
-Exodus 34:29-30

I was reading The Irresistible Revolution last night (which is an awesome book, by the way - thanks Lori!) and the author tells the story of a woman he meets on the streets, how she perceives him and his friends when they show her hospitality by bringing her into their house:

"As soon as we entered the house, she started weeping hysterically. Michelle held her as she wept. When she had gained her composure, she said, 'You are all Christians, aren't you?' Michelle and I looked at each other, startled. We had said nothing about God or Jesus, and our house doesn't have a cross in the window, a neon 'Jesus Saves' sign, or even a little Christian fish on the wall. She said, 'I know that you are Christians because you shine. I used to be in love with Jesus like that, and when I was, I shined like diamonds in the sky, like the stars. But it's a cold dark world, and I lost my shine a little while back. I lost my shine on those streets.'"

I had to stop reading and take it in. I must ask - do we look different to the world? Among the darkness, do we truly shine? I hope the answer is yes. I want to shine the way Moses' face did after He talked to the Lord . . . I want to shine the way Paul is telling us to in Philippians, the way Jesus instructs in Matthew.

I have seen my friends shine . . . and it is a beautiful privilege to witness it.

About 3 1/2 years ago, I was at my friend (and awesome mentor) Emma's wedding. The focus of the ceremony wasn't so much on her and her husband, it was on God. It might be the most memorable wedding I've been to, honestly.

The ceremony was so worshipful, from the praise songs throughout our time there, to Pastor Kelly's message. We sang "Angus Dei" (one of my favorite worship songs), and I couldn't help but marvel at Emma as she freely, passionately, without abandon, worshiped her King. She radiated. I thought to myself, I wish I was in love with Jesus like that. I was actually jealous of her passion for the Lord.

A year later, I was running from Christ, pursuing counterfeit gods and seeking my own agenda instead of God's. I was watching Fuse and the music video for "All Around Me" by Flyleaf came on.


That same, passionate, undeniable worship. I watched Lacy in the video and that same jealousy came back. Again, I thought - I wish that I loved Jesus like she does . . . I wish I had that kind of passion, I wish I was that close to God.

Do our lives cry out with passion and worship to God? When people look at us, do they see hearts that overflow with praise and adoration? I want my life to be a gigantic arrow pointing to Christ . . . I want to shine like diamonds . . . inviting the world to fall in un-abandoned, reckless love with their Savior.

1 comment:

  1. Read Claiborne's book a while back. Might not agree with him on everything but I can't argue with the way he serves people our society has forgotten. I need to be more like that.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Caked Designs