February 14, 2010

speechless

Grace is a funny thing. I've always had issues with it. I'm sure that I've already blogged about it, even.

I read 2 Samuel 7 the other day, when God makes a covenant with David . . . He begins by reminding David of all the things He has done for him - then He promises to provide for Israel, and finishes by telling him that the Messiah will be born through David's lineage. (read 2 Samuel 7:8-16 for the details - I tried to sum it up)

What is David's response to this? Remember that David was just this random sheperd kid when God first called him . . .

"Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign Lord?

What more can David say to you?
For you know your servant, O Sovereign Lord. For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant . . . Do as you promised so that your name will be great forever. Then men will say, 'The Lord Almighty is God over Israel!'"
[2 Samuel 7:18-20,25-26]

David confesses that he is speechless at one point. Then he moves on to point out how all of this will be used to glorify God and make His name famous.

I can't help but wonder . . . how often do we meditate on God's grace, and have a loss for words in response?

How often do we truly realize and meditate on the truth, that we had nothing to do with our salvation? It's not a result of our works or anything on our part. Our salvation is purely a result of God's grace, God's unconditional love for a sinful, broken, adulterous world.

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressionsit is by grace you have been saved. . . For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast.
[Ephesians 2:4-5,8-9]

I want to be at a point where I am speechless as I marvel over what God has done for me . . . and then overflow with praise. I want to be able to fully grasp His grace . . . it's hard for my human brain to do so. It's easier for me to not digest it, or only think about it on a surface level, or as if it was thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs