February 13, 2012

it's the little things

Sometimes it's the little things . . .

Like waking up before your alarm goes off, and feeling completely rested.

Or the smell of butter and marshmallows coming together in perfect harmony on the stovetop.

Or jumping . . . err, dancing around shamelessly to a certain remix

This winter . . . or at least January until now has been rough. Sometimes when you're going through a difficult season, it's the little things that can make your day.

And just reflecting on the simple truth that you are loved.

I was watching Moulin Rouge last night . . . and I just love Christian's character. Just the fact that the overlying theme of the movie is love, and how he states, "Oh, above all things, I believe in love." And Toulouse, at the end of the movie, yelling out: "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love . . . and be loved in return!"

And my favorite song from the movie . . .

And there's no mountain too high, no river too wide
Sing out this song and I'll be there by your side
Storm clouds may gather and stars may collide
But I love you, until the end of time
Come what may . . .


It just made me think about God's love for us.

The simple fact that we have a loving, compassionate savior who loves us right where we are. For all of my striving, stressing, anxiety-ridden madness . . . He loves me simply because He is my Father and my Savior.

That love is not based on anything that I have done or could do . . . it is not based on my social standing, my attitude, my works, my thoughts, my actions . . . it is based on what Christ did for me on the cross.

Just to stop and bask in this simple truth . . .

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ — by grace you have been saved . . . For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
-Ephesians 2:4-9

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
-2 Corinthians 5:21

But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.
-Psalm 86:15

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
-Isaiah 40:11

1 comment:

Blog Design by Caked Designs