March 6, 2014

on being a nurse . . . when I love my job.

Call me a nerd/cheesy/cornball, but I really believe that being a nurse is a joy, honor and privilege.

Now, don't get me wrong - it doesn't always feel that way.

But yesterday it did.

It was the best day I've had in a really, really long time.

One of the greatest joys - something that makes me so SO happy, is when I get to see my patient make progress.

Critical care nurses do not always get to see this. Maybe that's why I get so excited.

Yesterday both of my patients were out of the bed before 8am (this is a rarity - and maybe it was from all the coffee I had in my system). I got to walk with my post surgery patient around the unit four times.

It just makes me so happy to see people get better.

Added bonus, they were both pleasant and said thank you. I don't even know what to do when a patient gives me compliments and/or says thank you. I guess I have to get over the shock first.

Another joy is when a patient who was critically ill and even close to death at one point in time comes back to visit the unit. We don't see most patients after they leave the ICU, but some of them will come back to say hello when they're back at the hospital for follow-up appointments. Usually I just stare at them, speechless.

Whenever you get to see someone make progress, it makes all the bad days worth it. Whenever someone says "thank you," it makes it all worth it. Whenever a patient has a positive attitude despite their diagnosis, it makes it all worth it. Whenever you get to see someone get well enough to go home after months upon months of being in the hospital, it makes it all worth it . . . and more.

I am so thankful that God has given me this job and a heart for it . . . and that He is so sweet to let me see these good days, these glimpses of hope. To not only see people healed, but to be a part of that process. It is SUCH a gift and it makes my little nurse heart overflow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs