March 31, 2014

when my faith feels small



Yesterday morning I had one of those moments where my faith felt small, weak, feeble.

I always remember a quote from Tim Keller - it's not the strength of your faith that saves you, but the object of your faith. 

All that I could focus on was my own shortcomings, my sin, my struggles.

It's in those moments that God draws us back to His promises and we can find assurance in the only rock, the only firm foundation.

I read this devotional by John Piper, titled, "He Will Keep Us Safe."

This passage/excerpt stuck out to me:

The Lord will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (1 Corinthians 1:8–9)
Does the perseverance of our faith rest on the reliability of our own resolve? Or does it rest on the work of God to “keep us trusting”?
It is a great and wonderful truth of Scripture that God is faithful, and will keep forever those whom he has called. Our confidence that we are eternally secure is a confidence that God will “keep us trusting”!

I was reminded once again that it's not my doing, not in my ability to trust . . . or anything within me that keeps me within His hand.

God is not distant or impersonal . . . He is near and relational, which is a great comfort.

He promises to never leave or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6, Hebrews 13:5), He promises that no one can snatch us out of His hand (John 10:28-29), what He began in us, He will bring to completion (Philippians 1:6) and that He is the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).  

We can rest, knowing that the One who holds the universe together is holding us. Though we stray, feel weak, or have fickle emotions, He is the same throughout time. He is faithful, even when we are not (2 Timothy 2:13). 

He is the one who sustains us, guides us, and leads us. Scripture also says we are to, "draw near to God and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8). Will we do that today, and know more of the security we have in Him?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs