July 24, 2012

Worlds Apart . . . part 4.5

Still on day one at House of Hope . . . (don't say I didn't warn you about my numerous posts, hah)

After lunch and hearing Angela's powerful testimony, we got ready for VBS with the kids - the girls who had been rescued, along with the kids of the women who live on campus.

I had never helped with a VBS before, but Talia had put together a fabulous structure for us. The kids rotated through different stations - I helped with crafts, AKA folding boats out of paper :)
I see you cheesin!
I think the spanish word for fold is "doblar." I said it. A lot.

We did VBS with the kids for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours each day in the afternoon (We did this at House of Hope Monday and Tuesday, then at the church in Managua Wednesday and the church in Leon on Thursday) . . . the stations (if I remember right) were crafts, snacks, games, worship and teaching.

I had a scary thought during all of this . . . doing VBS in Nicaragua made me want to volunteer with kids at Summit . . . and I never, ever predicted that thought could/would cross my mind. I'm at least waaaaayyyyyy more open to working with kids than ever before. Especially the preschool age kids - they are just so stinkin' cute and they just stare at you . . . and you don't even have to know much spanish, they like you anyway.

At one point in the afternoon, I happened to look over at the worship station. Christine was playing guitar, singing and jumping with the kids along with Nicole who was also dancing/choreographing. The kids LOVED it - you could see how excited they were and how they were totally into it. Then I noticed Oscar - there he was dancing, singing and laughing with these kids. Oh man. Tears welled up in my eyes as I reflected on this scene. This man who has been absolutely transformed . . . this man who used to be an addict, a hit man, a violent person . . . is now rescuing children, and he's actually dancing with them, filled with the joy of Christ.

I hope I never forget that image. Oh, it was such a precious sight. What a beautiful picture of the Gospel and worship and a glimpse of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs