July 24, 2012

Worlds Apart . . . part 7

On day 7, we took at 2 hour bus ride out to Leon for our last day doing VBS.

Side note: Christine amazed me with her ability to fall asleep anywhere, and I'm a little jealous :)

During the trip, we got to hear Jeremy (founder of One by One) talk about his passion and vision for Nicaragua. It was so refreshing to see how his face lit up as he talked about the future and the next generation of Nicaragua. I could tell that he was here for the right reasons and that he has such a heart for the country.

I think it's so cool how God gives us different talents, spiritual gifts, abilities, etc. and places us in different circumstances in order to glorify Him. It's my frequent prayer that God would work through me - and that He would direct me to be exactly where He desires. I want to be in His will, and sometimes (or a lot of the time) I worry about it way too much instead of trusting in His divine guidance and orchestration.

We arrived to Leon, got settled and ate lunch. The church was built by a Methodist congregation from the states, and now One by One uses it as one of their locations. It was beautiful.
 Jeremy told us that the kids would start to arrive after 1:00, and that we could play soccer with them while we waited for everyone. Right in front of the church was a huge dirt field. Hillary suggested playing, and I thought - why not? I've already been out of my comfort zone so much on this trip, might as well continue. Plus, I don't think these kids will care that I have absolutely no skill when it comes to sports.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew there was a reason I don't play sports . . . but all I could remember was I don't like things flying at me . . . and I don't like sweaty people touching me. Sweaty people flying at me - yeah. That must be the reason.

We started to play and I was very quickly reminded why I don't play sports. Oh yes, I'm afraid of the ball. How did I forget that? hmm.

So, where is the most logical place for a person who is afraid of 1) projectile objects, 2) sweaty people, and 3) the ball?

oh yeah. goalie, baby.

Thank God the other gringos were merciful enough to switch out with me when there was a penalty kick. I was proud of myself because I actually intentionally kicked the ball. Twice. Boom.

Then there was a true miraculous moment when, while standing between the goalposts, contemplating the meaning of life, someone kicked the ball towards me . . . and instead of going for it, my leg just happened to be conveniently in the way. So, the ball hit my leg with such force that it ricocheted off and went rolling flying away.

The dirt that was embedded in the ball left a lovely outline of the soccer ball on my lower leg, and suddenly I felt a little more legit. By this point there were enough people with real skill on the field, so I graciously left . . . and then the kids saw my leg and asked if I was OK, haha :)
trying really hard to look busy
A little bit after this, Alecia, who is actually a very good soccer player (and pretty hard core), burned/scraped up her leg pretty badly in the Nicaraguan dirt. So, what did we do? Perform surgery of course.
I think we need to amputate, doctor.
Just kidding. It wasn't surgery. But we did need to get the dirt out of her leg . . . thankfully Hillary had a stash of wipes in her bag. A few of us did our best to clean up/scrub the dirt out of her leg, then bandaged it up a bit. The little kids poking at it later definitely made it feel better. Note to self: next time on a mission trip, bring medical supplies. Thankfully, there were a few first aid kits on the trip.

There were somewhere between 90-100 kids that were supposed to be at this VBS, but it seemed like more and more little ones kept filtering in as the afternoon progressed. At one point, Talia had 38 kids in her group. phew. Talk about a lot of paper boats. We had like a fleet going. (is that what you call an army of boats? It sounds good, right?)

Alecia is also the one who taught our team the "peer pressure song." Do you know this song? It's pretty catchy:
Do it,
Do it,
Everyone will like you!
(repeat x 1000)

So needless to say, I rapped Super Bass on the bus for everyone on the team, plus Ben, Jeremy and Paul. Paul told me I had too much free time because I could name 3 celebrity chefs in less than 5 seconds and memorized a Nicki Minaj song. Way to pump up my self esteem.

It's all Janna's fault. She kept requesting the song. I gotta give the people what they want!

But seriously, the peer pressure song was used on almost everyone on the team - to eat a stack of crackers in 30 seconds, cluck like a chicken, bark like a dog, etc. etc. . .

Then miraculously, on the bus ride back, Ben turned the radio on. Do you know what glorious song filled the air? "Sexy and I know it". Awww yeeeah. Then the real me started to come out. Music does things to me. I just got so excited and almost busted out my super fly dance moves - but I don't think everyone was quite ready for that yet. So I danced in my seat like the stereotypical white girl. Don't stop, get it, get it!

Do you know how happy I was to hear American music on that bus? Praise Jesus.

So, this trip was filled with facing fears . . . working with kids, attempting to speak spanish, rapping in front of that many people, projectile objects coming towards me, random food, being in a foreign environment, etc. etc . . . this trip definitely stretched me in many ways and I was so thankful.
Just for fun . . . yes I did, yes I did, somebody please tell 'em who the -- I is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs