January 27, 2014

a book review

buy it here
Last week, I needed some reading material for my travels. A co-worker had recommended this book, and I am forever grateful that she did. It seriously took me one and a quarter days to read. Words cannot do it justice.

I had heard of Corrie Ten Boom, loved some of her quotes, but never read any of her work.

Corrie was a Dutch watchmaker, a lover of Jesus, who became part of the underground movement during WW II to help Jews escape the Nazis. She and her family were eventually sent to concentration camps as well - and she was the lone survivor.

After her release from prison, she lived on to have an amazing ministry - writing books and speaking all over the world about the transforming power of God's love.

Her story moved me greatly (joy, sadness, amazing faith, God's power and love), and I had to fight back my urge to weep openly, as I was on a plane for the majority of my reading.

This book is filled with such timeless wisdom and it pointed me back to the cross over and over. Her walk with the Lord was so deep, so rich . . . It strengthened my own faith and once again showed me the treasure and supreme beauty of Christ. I strongly recommend it.

I will now leave you with some of my favorite quotes from the book.

"I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do." 

"Our wise Father in heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need -- just in time." 

"The truth . . . is that God's viewpoint is sometimes different than ours - so different that we could not even guess at it unless He had given us a Book which tells us such things. In the Bible I learned that God values us not for our strength or our brains but simply because He has made us." 

"There are no 'if's' in God's kingdom. His timing is perfect. His will is our hiding place." 

“No pit is so deep that God is not deeper still”

“When He tells us to love our enemies He gives, along with the command, the love itself.” 

"My job was to simply follow His leading one step at a time, holding every decision up to him in prayer.”
“In darkness God's truth shines most clear.” 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs