January 12, 2014

Five random loves



1. the crock pot!
Nothing says you're growing up like getting legitimately thrilled to get appliances for Christmas. But seriously - who doesn't love a practical gift?

2. Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookies.
These babies are sweet little pieces of goodness that are ground up to produce heaven in a jar, AKA cookie butter. (don't let me purchase this, it will be gone in a week). Perhaps the non-spreadable version will be a little healthier. Or so I will tell myself.

3. Stress-free butternut squash.
It's nice when you can enjoy the sweet, buttery deliciousness of this squash without risking your right arm/finger/sanity in prepping it for use.

4. Breaking Free from Strongholds by Dr. Eric Mason.
I was listening to this in my car today and it is filled with truth that I need to hear. Here are a few nuggets:

"You know you’re deep in a stronghold when you can’t see life beyond where you are. But . . . God doesn’t let your stronghold get in the way of him coming to you.

Salvation is about God coming after people who couldn’t come after him.

One of the beautiful things about encountering God is our mess doesn’t surprise him.   

I like the fact that God does not, when he comes around, just focus on our sins only. What an encounter with God is about is showing you what you must turn from and also whom you turn to. That’s very important in the gospel. And what’s beautiful about being in Christ is he not only shows you where you are, he calls you beyond where you’re not. He calls him a mighty man of valor.

God doesn’t see us merely where we are, but he sees us in what it looks like when he gets to us, and change happens.

That’s what I like about being in Christ: God is always pushing his people forward to be what he wants them to be and casting vision. If God just comes to us in our strongholds and doesn’t cast a vision of what we can be in him but only casts a vision of where we are, we’re in big, deep trouble."

All of this is such good news, especially since I have been feeling like and acting like a hot mess this past week. So thankful that God comes to us in our hot mess, walks with us, uses us and changes us so patiently and faithfully.

I was also reading a devo this morning that reminded me . . . no matter what tomorrow brings, God will still be God and He does not change. He is walking with you and will provide for you - He just calls us to trust Him one moment at a time. That sounds so simple, but in my moments of anxiety, I imagine the future as the worst possible scenario without God in the midst of it. 

5. Flowers . . . they always brighten an otherwise gloomy or sad day.

And I will leave with these lyrics from one of my favorite songs. Because I need to hear these words, and maybe you do too :)

I wake up to another day
I don't know if I can face
All the fears that are staring me down
I'm trying to be brave
But I'm a thread about to fray
I wanna stand but I don't know how

I look up and all I see is Your love holding me
When I feel like giving up
When my heart is hurt too much
Feels like I've reached the end
No, I won't turn and run
This battle will be won
When I've done all I can
I stand

Some days I lose my place
It's a fight to keep my faith
But You are with me, I am not alone, no
But all around my world gives way
Toss like an ocean wave
You are my rock and the storm clouds blow

On Your promise I will stand
All other ground is sinking sand

"Stand" Britt Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs